Evaluate your tax situation

How much does the IRS say you owe?

$125,000 $250,000
$125,000 $250,000
Do you have unfiled tax returns?

Evaluate your tax situation

By evaluating your tax situation, you can identify areas where you may be able to reduce your tax burden.

Not here? Tell us what we’re missing

Help More people find you and submit you business for a free listing in our network.

Tax Help in Indiana

Receiving official correspondence from the IRS or the IN Department of Revenue can be intimidating for those who don’t understand how to navigate the process. A few hundred dollars in back taxes can quickly snowball into several thousand when you fail to meet the problem head-on.

Indiana residents have more options than they realize, and it’s simply a matter of knowing how to access them. Whether you didn’t file or simply owed more than you could pay, tax debt can impact every part of your financial life. Understanding the IRS collection process is key.

The IRS Collection Process

The IRS has the power to bypass traditional court ordered collection processes. Instead, they can aggressively absorb your assets and freeze your accounts in a relatively short period of time. Attempting to collect back taxes usually starts with official correspondence in the form of letters and phone calls. From here, the IRS can place tax liens on your property, freeze all your accounts, employee wage garnishment, and even show up at your front door prepared to take immediate possession of your property.

The best way to handle this type of situation is to be proactive and to find a way to settle your debt with the IRS.

Protecting Yourself

When the amount owed is astronomical or beyond your financial means, an offer and compromise can help you to pay a much smaller amount within an agreed upon time. Innocent spouse relief is also an option for those who are responsible for their husband or wife’s tax debt.

Both options are simply a matter of filling out the appropriate forms and corresponding with the IRS. If you’re still unsure of how to handle the problem, consider getting in touch with a tax relief professional. Being proactive is the best policy.