In a recent newsletter the IRS provided the following information regarding the Taxpayer Advocate Service:
The Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) is an independent organization within the IRS that helps taxpayers who are experiencing unresolved federal tax problems. Here are 10 things every taxpayer should know about TAS:
1. The Taxpayer Advocate Service is your voice at the IRS.
2. TAS assistance is free and tailored to meet your needs.
3. You may be eligible for TAS help if you’ve tried to resolve your tax problem through normal IRS channels and have gotten nowhere, or if you are facing (or your business is facing) an immediate action from the IRS that will adversely affect you.
4. The worst thing you can do is nothing at all!
5. TAS helps individual and business taxpayers whose tax problems are causing financial difficulty, which could include the cost of hiring professional representation, such as a tax attorney.
6. If you qualify for TAS help, you’ll be assigned one advocate who will do everything possible to get your problem resolved.
7. There is at least one local Taxpayer Advocate office in every state, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. You can obtain the number of your local Taxpayer Advocate from your local phone book, in Pub. 1546, Taxpayer Advocate Service – Your Voice at the IRS and on the IRS website at IRS.gov/advocate. You can also call TAS toll-free at 1-877-777-4778.
8. As a taxpayer, you have rights that the IRS must abide by when working with you. Our tax toolkit website at www.TaxpayerAdvocate.irs.gov can help you understand these rights.
9. TAS also handles tax problems that may have a broad impact on more than just one taxpayer. You can report these “systemic” issues to TAS through the Systemic Advocacy Management System at IRS.gov/advocate.
10. You can get updates on hot tax topics by visiting the TAS YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/TASNTA and the TAS Facebook page at www.facebook.com/YourVoiceAtIRS, or by following TAS tweets at www.twitter.com/YourVoiceatIRS.
If you want to have your taxes prepared by a certified public accounted you have many choices. But if you want your business or personal taxes prepared by an CPA accounting firm that understands how to avoid audits, defend against audits, minimize your tax liabilities and help you avoid problems with the IRS then look no further. Walter Wotman and Morgan & Wotman, LLP are experts in the field of tax preparation offering a full range of accounting services from audits to preparations for individuals and companies large and small.
Contact us for more information on our full range of accounting products today.